[Hanryu Pia] Almost Weekly! We Made Block B's "Bikipedia"! - Zico Edition




No.19: When was "No adolescence" Zico's identity established?


This series began last year in our November issue (released on October 22) with Taeil's interview and we quickly made it to our last round this month. The person who carries out the honor of going last is, of course, Block B's leader and super popular rapper Zico! In recent years he experienced growth as a charismatic producer by providing music to many artists, not to mention Block B. We'll approach his 'musical soul' now.

During the first part we'll tell the story from when he was known as Woo Jiho. But before that, let's talk a little bit about the interview's back story.

We dared to do the interview in the cold of Seoul in February. Zico arrived a little early to the interview location even before the start time. Before our greeting, I received the material to publish on the journal in advance, when I was shown Zico's childhood pictures...... 'eh, what, why!!' he seemed embarrassed so he gathered and hid the pictures (lol).

Whenever I interview him, I ask Zico about one thing and he gives me an answer but he also speaks at length about the story associated to that answer. This day too, there were a lot of stories I wanted to listen in depth but I felt that...... no matter how much time we have, it's never enough. (If there's another opportunity some other day, please tell me more~!)

Even during the shooting, once he was explained about the concept of the page, he'd decide on his own on different poses one after another so specific instructions were not necessary. The staff became interested in Zico who was also producing himself right on the mark.

My identity was established during the time I spent in Japan

Zico recalls that when he was in elementary school he was a rascal who liked to draw and play outside. But when I asked about his days as a middle schooler he briefly said, 'I have no memory of it at all'.

"In my life, the period of time I remember less is when I was a middle school student. Perhaps because I spent it in a really common way".

He said this though if we talk about middle school boys, many of them are in the midst of puberty.......

"I don't think I've ever experienced puberty before. Even though I was an adolescent, I probably spent it suppressing those emotions. I myself never felt I was going through puberty, I don't think other people have ever felt I was an adolescent either".

He thought of going to a University with an Art Program since the time he was a primary school student and in order to take a special entrance exam to college, young Zico who at the time was a third year middle school student transferred to the 'Tokyo Korean School' in Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo. He spent 3 and a half years in Japan until he was a second grader in High School. At that point, Woo Jiho became Zico.

"When I was a high school student, my male friends called me Woojo and my female friends called me Zico. My stage name comes from that nickname. My identity was established during the time I spent in Japan. A lot of the things I liked, like fashion and rap".

Young Zico lived away from his parents, together with his older brother.

"It was tough not having my parents around. When I had to decide on something, I always had to make the decision by myself so I think that cultivated my sense of independence, on the other hand I remember feeling somewhat lonely. Every day I felt lonely during my free time....... and every day I'd call my friends over to play at my house".

Under such circumstances, he met music.

"Inspired by Verbal Jint and Supreme Team, I started to like music. If I had to put it in terms of art, after showcasing your drawings in an exhibition, I think everyone will appreciate it. But songs feel even more direct than that. That's why I wanted to become a rapper".

He and his friend bought recording equipment and uploaded their self-composed songs to an Internet site every day. It was fun to come in contact with the reactions of people who listened to his songs that he decided to 'make music his occupation'.

The place where Zico's fate was decided is Japan and Japanese BBC take pride in such fact.

No.20: What's your pride as a musician? We discuss Zico's true value as musician



In the second part we'll discuss his merits as Block B's Zico and Producer Zico.

Zico's pride as a musician

When Zico returned to Korea as a second-year high school student he participated in underground activities with Park Kyung, U-Kwon (Block B) and Minho (Winner). Already since then he was a popular person in the rapper scene. In what way did such Zico end up having his major debut.

"An acquaintance of my mother worked at a broadcasting station, that person praised me and said 'just try auditioning once. You're a kid who can be active in a wider field'. So I began to audition with a light feeling 'well, let's see how it goes'. One day, I got contacted by a company I had sent a demo tape to, it started from there".

His activities after that are known by everyone. What are his goals for Block B?

"A lot of things happened in the past but lately more than saying, 'next time let's do this!', I just want to deliver something good to many people. There's no ambition like grabbing this and that award, I just want to be in a group that always makes good music".

'Block B Zico' began to emerge as 'Producer Zico' in 'Show Me The Money Season 4'. He worked side-by-side with Korean hip-hop legends as producer; through this program he attracted attention and got acknowledged as solo hip-hop artist and talented producer. Speaking of it, what is a producer? He explains that is 'like being a stylist'.

"Let's say there's a singer, you have to dress that singer in clothes that fit him the best in order to stand on stage. That is a stylist. Someone who achieves the same through music is what I consider a producer. Just like a stylist enriches the contents of his closet, I must increase my music repertoire. That's why recently I listen to music around the clock. Not just hip-hop but all kinds of song genres. What songs have been released recently, what kind of songs are well-received by the general public and things like that. Among them, what am I ought to do​. I think about that, every day".

Rewarding such great efforts, almost all of the songs he writes and produces become a hit. So the listeners' expectations for Zico's music keep increasing steadily. I wonder if there's pressure when he's making music?

"There is. Specially last year (2016) was the most difficult. Regarding 'Toy', I worked on a Block B song after a long period of activity as a producer and solo artist. It was a song where I questioned my real value. Although I must absolutely make it succeed, I didn't know what to do, I worried a lot".
But that's why Zico does not want to release similar songs (in style). He always wants to give off an unexpected image".

"Before getting good results, no matter what music I released, I received unfair assessments like 'so this is the type of music Zico makes' or 'this time it's not quite good'. But now that a lot people are listening to my songs, many of them have come to know my hit songs and I became known by many people for what I'm good at. If I show a slightly different image and people say 'uhm? why's he doing something like this?' I end up reacting coldly. I guess it's a bit painful. But no matter what I'm told, I'd like it for people to listen to various genres of music and I want to make music that breaks the image everyone has of me. That is my pride as a musician".

No.21: Zico tells to himself during debut, "give me a break!"



At last, we'll talk about Zico's private life!

I say to my self during debut, "give me a break!"

On the stage he has a dynamic image that's messy and wild. However when you actually meet him, he has a gentle way of talking and the corners of his mouth rise quickly to form a cute smile. He fits the expression 'nice guy' perfectly.

"When I was young I was very active but recently I live pretty quietly (lol). It's not like I'm not active, I just don't go out much. Well...... I guess it might mean that I became an adult. I feel like I calmed down gradually. When I watch footage of the time of my debut, I think to myself 'give me a break!'. I got too carried away then (lol). I reflect thinking that was not good. Recently I'm careful to be responsible for my words and actions".

The once called mischievous idols are now adults. As such, Zico is recently thinking of fixing his 'tsundere' attitude.

"When it comes to people that are close to me, I behave coldly. Specially with people that I have to cherish, with people I must treat with care, it's like I can't be gentle with them. I wonder why, I don't understand it even myself. Another thing I want to fix is my blunt personality. I end up saying things bluntly that would be better said softly so I'm often misunderstood".

Be that as it may, such personality is highly popular among people of the same sex, he has many friends even in the entertainment world.

"I'm particularly close to Crush, DEAN and actor Choi Taejoon. I'm also acquainted with Bangtan Boys Rap Monster from high school student days. Namjoon is younger than me but he began to rap before me, we performed together when we were students. It makes me happy to see that he is active".

In a previous interview Zico expressed himself as a 'music fool' and a 'workaholic'. When he showed me his diary, it was closely packed with work schedules. There seems to be almost no days off.

"My life is music, it's a bit monochrome​. But it's not painful at all. My tension rises up too when my work goes well (lol). Also, I don't really have hobbies. Previously I liked movies and I watched them often but now it's been a while since I watched one, I also used to collect sneakers and bear bricks but I haven't acquired any recently. Because I have no interest other than music, I have nothing to talk about (tears). I'm...... sorry (lol)".

Zico is betting all of his life to music. Increasing his likability as a musician more and more! His only (?) interest besides music is fashion. He has collaborated before with street brand 'VIBRATE' and appeared regularly in fashion talk shows. In Korea he is recognized as a fashion leader by young people. When asked about his commitment to fashion he modestly said, "I'm careful not to cause a bad impression to others". According to his stylist, "He used to like trendy things but now, on the contrary, he seems interested in reinterpreting the vintage style, he is concerned about styling".

Zico is becoming a trend pioneer not only in music but also fashion. Let's keep an eye in every single one of his move​s!

Translations by @GreeneryBomb
[Hanryu Pia] Almost Weekly! We Made Block B's "Bikipedia"! - Zico Edition [Hanryu Pia] Almost Weekly! We Made Block B's "Bikipedia"! - Zico Edition Reviewed by Unknown on June 18, 2017 Rating: 5

Featured Posts

Disclaimer: Always chill and have fun. This blog is run by BBCs wanting to spread the good vibes of Block B
Powered by Blogger.