[Hanryu Pia] Almost Weekly!? We Made Block B's "Bikipedia"! - Taeil Edition


No.1: The Day Taeil's Fate Changed "Because I was the Best……"



Prior to the release of our November issue (released in October 22), we'll be releasing via web a series entitled, "Almost weekly!? We Made Block B's 'Bikipedia'!", we'll be interviewing members individually and collecting data to combine and publish 3 times every month.

The first person to commemorate this, the protagonist of September, is Taeil who serves as the main vocal!

On a certain day in August, we carried the interview in a studio of the metropolitan area. Let's start with the photo session. With a cool facial expression, sitting on the floor grasping his knees and dancing, Taeil maintained a relaxing mood all the time. Shooting ended in the blink of an eye so we headed to the interview room where a reporter was waiting.

He stands in front of the reporter with a big smile and greets cheerfully, "Annyeonghaseyo!". During the interview once a question was asked, he'd answer it in concrete while incorporating other talk with sincerity, he answered 10 questions and told us plenty.

Recently in a corner of a music program called "Inkigayo", he teamed with SHINee Onew and showed off his singing skills. Beyond the idol frame, Taeil is recognized as a skilled artist. First of all, I asked about the story from his early childhood to his aim of becoming a singer.

"I was a child who did not listen a lot to his parents and liked playing around. For example, when I was in elementary school, during lunch break there was this toy "stink/fart bomb" that you'd break and it'd release a stinky smell, I'd threw that in various classrooms. It would fill the school with that smell, and someone angrily would say 'who did this!' through the school's P.A system (lol). At the time my nickname was Taebon (Taebong?). 'Bon/Bong' in Korea is understood as an entertaining nuance. I always made everyone laugh so I was called that."

Among comic characters a popular one that Taeil looked up to was Batman, "Batman and Robin looked very cool". Even now he seems to like collecting figures of them.

With such sense of humor, Taeil might have looked like someone full of dreams but actually, he had no interest in singing during his childhood, seems like it wasn't until he entered high school that he had this dream. Taeil's fate changed one day after school.

"On my way home from school, I went to a karaoke place with my friends. Everyone kept telling me to sing so I reluctantly did and I was praised by them, 'you're good!'. From my point of view I thought '(they say this) even though they go to karaoke often'~ (lol)"

Unfortunately he couldn't remember what song he sang then, "back then I liked powerful songs so I think it was a rock song".

With that opportunity Taeil added, "because people around me praised me a lot, I decided to join the band unit". In the band unit he was of course in charge of vocals.

"I'd perform once or twice a year at the school festivals in front of everyone, embellishing the opening of school events. That's why I became quite popular and all the students knew me. Even though it was a boys' school, I was still popular. The songs I covered often were Flower's songs, BUZZ 'Funny Rock' and others. There were a lot of exciting songs".

Taeil who was completely absorbed in the band thought he would like to receive vocal lessons gradually. However, Taeil's mother, who hadn't listened to his singing, strongly opposed…….

"She said she'd let me go to a vocal school if I ranked number one in a singing competition that would be held in the district so I joined the competition and I got first place. The prize was a TV. Because we had a TV at home already, I donated it to a nursing home nearby".

Can I ask about how confident you were……?

"Confident? Truthfully, I was (lol). Because I was the best (probably)".

Taeil who had decided to start singing seriously, naturally aimed to be a singer after it. If he had not gone to the karaoke with his friends that time, the current Taeil probably wouldn't exist? We must be thankful to his high school friends!

No.2: “Tropical fish otaku” Taeil's self-proclaimed ○○type



This time is the main character of September, let's zoom to the main vocal Taeil! It's the 2nd part.

The thing he's most committed to is!?

The next thing I asked Taeil was about the "things he likes". Taeil who has a strong determination that resists anything, is currently engrossed with tropical fishes. There's various types of "otakus" in different fields but it's unusual for someone to proudly present themselves as "tropical fish otaku" like he did in variety show 'The Geeks'.

"They're so cute~♥ I had the chance to take care of my aunt's tropical fishes for one month. At the time, I didn't keep them in a proper fish tank but kept them inside of something that resembled a turtle. In the beginning there were no more than 3 but one day, I tried to illuminate them with a flashlight and I saw there were about 40 of them! They gave birth to baby fishes. It was quite marvelous so from there on I began to raise (tropical fishes) on my own. Initially I raised Guppies, now I mainly raise Corydoras. Since they have about 200 baby fishes at a time, at their peak…… I've raised about 1000 of them".

When we talk about Taeil, his unique fashion is also one of his charms. Is there anything only you are proudly obsessed about?

"Because I have a small frame, I'm aware of fashion styles that make me look bigger. Until about 2 years ago fashion styles with tight outfits were popular, from my point of view it looked good but recently, no matter the brand they tend to have at least some items with long sleeves so it's easy to choose. For shoes I buy 27cm ones but I may wear 28cm shoes. Actually I can put on shoes that are even 25cm but I don't like it if my feet look small".

While listening to his story, he appears to be pretty committed to it. Taeil says his style is a self-proclaimed 'easy fit' type.

"Also…… I somehow started collecting glasses because I like them, I have about 100 of them. Well, the pieces I often wear are about 10 though (lol). I have a favorite optical shop, the store's boss sends me a picture when a new product arrives. When there's a model I like among them, it's designed according to my specifications (requests), and then reserved for me. What catches my eye is as expected, round frames. I think people who wear glasses will understand, even if it's the same round frame they're slightly different one from the other. I have 40 pieces of just round glasses. Besides that, I also have many hats. Probably more than glasses. I buy them on my own but fans also give them to me as presents so I can't count anymore (lol)".

In that manner, when Taeil comes to Tokyo the one place he surely goes to is the place of origin of Japanese fashion culture, Harajuku. "Because there's many unique clothes and hats, I love it! Every time I go there's new items, there are fashionable stores scattered even in the back streets, it's fun just watching". I heard he wants to visit even right now.

Also, there seems to be a place alongside Harajuku. The store that's praised by many K-Pop artists.

"When you come to Japan you definitely have to stop by Ichiran Ramen! This is not only me but all members think the same. There's no Ichiran in Korea though I wish there was one. In Ichiran you can choose the hardness and spiciness of the noodles. For me, I ask for 2 or 3 times the spiciness, hard noodles and all the toppings. Egg, onion, nori (edible seaweed)…… wrapping the noodles with nori and eating it is delicious! Everyone please try it too".

By the way, on this day after finishing the interview, Taeil took Park Kyung to Harajuku. After leaving the studio, there was little time until their flight time, I wonder if they made it on time……?

No.3: A woman's gesture that makes Taeil's heart flutter?


This time let's zoom in to the main vocalist Taeil! In this 3rd round which will be the last, let's approach more to Taeil's inner nature.

When my tension goes up

Finally, let's approach the "inner" Taeil. First of all, what's the thing that motivates Taeil?

"2 or 3 times a year, I look back on footage of me singing from the time when I was a high school student until now. The interesting thing is, even though the (content of the) video is the same, the feeling is different from back then. When I think that I got better compared to back then, it makes me think that I want to refine myself more, when I think that I still have a long way to go, it makes me feel like I have to frantically work harder. Watching that footage, no matter the reason, It makes me want to practice".

'Past' Taeil seems to inspire 'Current' Taeil. Said Taeil's tension goes up with the cheers from BBC (Block B's fans).

"I think it's the same for everyone who is a singer, I feel happy when fans say their hearts have been healed listening to my singing, that makes my tension go up. Specially Japanese fans tend to say that a lot. It might just be a (standard) compliment though (lol). To move people's hearts with a song of 3~4min is not easy to achieve, isn't it something amazing?. If I'm capable to achieve that even for a bit, I feel glad".

Taeil is busy not only with his activities as part of Block B but also as a solo artist. What's the stress relief method of such busy Taeil?

"I spend my time totally immersed in the things I like. If you are immersed in something, don't you end up forgetting about all the bad things. For example, when I'm interested in tattoos and motorbikes, I search for images of it every day, when I'm interested in glasses and hats, I buy them randomly. Also throughout the day I have to watch over my tropical fishes. Spending my time like that, it makes me feel better before I realize it".

When asked, "I heard a rumor that Taeil likes drinking alcohol quite a lot?" he was taken aback and laughed loudly.

"Ye~s. Instead of liking it…… it's more like fun. I don't drink fine alcohol. In Korea, soju is more accessible so I often drink soju. During hot days, drinking beer is the standard".

When asked about snacks (to have with drinks) he'd recommend, "sashimi is the best to accompany soju! Since normally I like to have sashimi, because there's many kinds of it, I like to enjoy different types of fishes every time". Seems like in addition to watching over them, he enjoys eating them too.

Something to fixate on from his point of view!?

Taeil who is concerned over such things, makes you wonder about his feelings towards women. When you see a woman, what's the first thing your eyes notice?

"Her smile. I am told by everyone that my smile is cute too though (lol). I like it when girls have a gentle smile and her eyes get very thin when laughing". I asked about a specific heart-fluttering gesture that girls might do but it was too precise so I couldn't understand it (maybe?). He showed me a gesture that makes only Taeil's heart flutter.

"Because it's cold in winter, if you put on your earphones as it is don't you get hurt? I really like the gesture girls make when they warm up their earphones a little with their breath 'haa~' and put it inside their ears". I happened to see a girl doing that in the subway once before and I went like 'wow! Cute'. I couldn't meet her eyes though (lol)".

All BBCs, this winter make sure you go 'haa~' to your earphones ♪

Taeil who told me, "I feel happy when fans say their hearts have been healed listening to my singing, it might just be a (standard) compliment though". From his facial expression to the way he said this, it felt like it came from the bottom of his heart. It made my heart go from numb to warm.

Translations by @GreeneryBomb
[Hanryu Pia] Almost Weekly!? We Made Block B's "Bikipedia"! - Taeil Edition [Hanryu Pia] Almost Weekly!? We Made Block B's "Bikipedia"! - Taeil Edition Reviewed by Unknown on March 26, 2017 Rating: 5

Featured Posts

Disclaimer: Always chill and have fun. This blog is run by BBCs wanting to spread the good vibes of Block B
Powered by Blogger.